Dress at Family Life Academy must be consistent with Christian standards of modesty and good taste. Dress and appearance are a reflection of values and attitude in students and staff alike. Dress is the primary responsibility of parents who should assure that their child is compliant with the dress code when they leave home in the morning. However, the Academy office will be the final authority on appropriateness and reserves the right to ask any student to return home and change if clothed inappropriately. Again, subsequent years may involve a change in the Code as we choose school colors and logo, learn from experience, and hear input from parents, students, Academy staff and other church staff members.
- Girls will wear a skirt, jumper, skorts, shorts or slacks (No leggings, jeggings, sweat pants or yoga pants) – any solid color. Note: When wearing a skirt, girls need to wear a pair of play shorts underneath the skirt.
- Girls will wear a collared shirt – any solid or striped shirt, but no printed graphics or words, unless wearing FLA t-shirt.
- Boys will wear pants or shorts – any solid color. No “baggin and saggin” or sweat pants are allowed. Boys will wear a collared shirt – any solid or striped shirt, but no printed graphics or words, unless wearing FLA t-shirt.
General rules for both girls and boys:
- Clothing must not have any logos, printed letters or words that cannot be covered with a quarter. Skirts, shorts and jumpers must be no shorter that 4” above mid-knee or no shorter than the middle finger tip.
- No shirts or tops that leave exposed midriff are allowed.
- All shirts must have a collar – no T-shirts.
- The only permitted footwear is a closed-toe shoe worn with socks – no flip-flops or sandals.
- Hats must be removed upon entering a building.
- Backpacks may not be more than 16 inches tall and no more than 12 inches wide.
- Jewelry: In addition to modesty and good taste reasons, safety and loss are frequent issues when young children wear any type of jewelry; therefore, the wearing of any jewelry is strongly discouraged for Family Life Academy students. The same principles apply to both boys and girls.
We relax the dress code on Fridays, the children are welcome to wear their casual clothes. However, modesty, no offensive messages or graphics, and closed-toe shoes are still the rule.
“Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.” Philippians 4:8